Spinoff of Airbender — Read it and Cheer

The makers of AVATAR THE LAST AIRBENDER are thinking of making a show in the same background. I have no comment to make. I am speechless with happiness.

ADDED LATER:

Superhero Hype has more on the story:

The Legend of Korra takes place 70 years after the events of Avatar: The Last Airbender and follows the adventures of the Avatar after Aang – a passionate, rebellious, and fearless teenaged girl from the Southern Water Tribe named Korra.  With three of the four elements under her belt (Earth, Water, and Fire), Korra seeks to master the final element, Air.  Her quest leads her to the epicenter of the modern “Avatar” world, Republic City – a metropolis that is fueled by steampunk technology.  It is a virtual melting pot where benders and non-benders from all nations live and thrive.  However, Korra discovers that Republic City is plagued by crime as well as a growing anti-bending revolution that threatens to rip it apart.   Under the tutelage of Aang’s son, Tenzin, Korra begins her airbending training while dealing with the dangers at large.

—————————————————————————————-

About John C Wright

John C. Wright is a practicing philosopher, a retired attorney, newspaperman, and newspaper editor, and a published author of science fiction. Once a Houyhnhnm, he was expelled from the august ranks of purely rational beings when he fell in love; but retains an honorary title.
This entry was posted in Announcement. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Spinoff of Airbender — Read it and Cheer

1. Wildrow says:

Woot! This makes me a happy camper.

Hopefully this time, they’ll actually explain why the main villain’s motivation (other than, “I r teh Firelord! I r evilulz!11!!” )

Seriously, I adored the show, and all the characters in it. But the one thing that always bugged me is that for all the build-up to Ozai’s appearance and confrontation with Aang, we have no idea what really motivated this guy or why he did the stuff he did (heck, we know more about Sozen’s motivations and background than Ozai’s).

2. I want to find out what happened to Zuko’s Mom.

3. Keith B says:

Hooray! Exciting news!

4. rimbambo says:

ugh no good. i didnt like the movie

5. KokoroGnosis says:

See, I knew this would bring peace and good will to all men.

I have yet to see the movie, but no matter how I feel about it when I finally see it, the first teaser for it is what finally prompted me to watch the TV series. And for that, I am grateful.

6. The CronoLink says:

Hope it turns out good. Katara basically killed the show for me early in the first season. Never continued to watch it.

7. Allison says:

I’ve seen one or two episodes, but I kind of gave up after the one where Aang spins this crazy lie about these two guys who started a huge blood feud a hundred years ago. It just didn’t seem workable to me. The only way I could have seen it actually working out is if the two sides were looking for a good excuse to stop hostilities, and I don’t think they were. His lie didn’t strike me as particularly believable, for one, and a hundred years of conflict (and killing each other) is not necessarily done away with that easily even if it had been the truth. “So what if the original conflict a hundred years ago was blown out of proportion? They killed -insert relative- and -insert friend- and don’t forget what happened in ’36 at -insert location-!” People high on emotion who want to make trouble usually don’t really need the actual facts.

That episode just came off feeling false. They could have redeemed it for me by having one of the leaders of the conflict take Aang aside afterward and say something like, ‘By the way, kid, I wouldn’t try that sort of thing again. You can get killed telling a lie like that — and maybe even when it isn’t a lie. You’re just lucky that you provided the excuse we leaders needed to get out from under this feud that we’ve been stuck in.”

• Well, I kind of thought it was a rivalry rather than a feud, and that the leaders were sort of looking for an excuse to get out from under it.

My take on it was that feuds, like any human institution, needs a foundational myth or account, and that as long as that myth is sacred to them, taken seriously and defended at all costs, the feud will continue. What Aang’s lie did was to desecrate the myth and make it laughable. You might be willing to feud over a sacred orb, but not over a soccer ball — even if your friends and relatives had been harmed and killed in the feud, once the myth that fuels it is gone and looks ridiculous, it is hard to build up the hatred needed to continue.

But I did not like the idea of a Noble Lie told for good reasons — in real life such things backfire, and corrode the soul of the liar. I did not like it in Plato, and I do not like it in Aang.

I suggest you try watching another episode or two. That particular episode was maybe the weakest one of all three seasons. If not THE weakest, it is in the bottom five.