Casting Game for HERMETIC MILLENNIA

My Book, the Movie, asked me to cast the movie version of THE HERMETIC MILLENNIA. http://mybookthemovie.blogspot.com/2013/12/john-c-wrights-hermetic-millennia.html

Here below are my choices for the casting of the characters in The Hermetic Millennia. Unfortunately, the cast list is rather long, so we will not be able to match all the names to faces. I took the liberty of selecting actors and actresses regardless of their age, or whether they were still living and working.

Hence my first choice is for Menelaus Montrose to be played by Raymond Massey.He is not as homely as I describe Montrose to be, but then again, few actors are. menelaus montrose Next is Ximen del Azarchel, the Master of the World, to be played by Roger Delgado, the Master. There are several other Hermeticists in the story, of course, but he overshadows them.

TheMaster2a

Rania should be played by Rania. I realize Her Highness Rania of Jordan is not an actress, but then again she has the correct look and poise.

rania

Let us do the rest in chronological order, starting with Trey Soaring Azurine, the Sylph, played by Ksenia Solo from Canada’s Lost Girl.

trey

Ben Kingsley as Sir Guy the Knight Hospitalier.

sir guy

Mickey the Witch played by Fiazon Love from Elf.

Mickey the Witch

Irene Ryan, by herself, can play the other Witches from his era.

granny

Jet Li as Yuen, the younger Chimera Alpha.

yuen

The older Chimera, Daae, to be played by Clint Eastwood after his hair went gray.

Daae

Lady Invinia is particularly hard to cast, but I will go with Eva Green.

ivinia

Oenoe the Nymph is again difficult to cast. I select Tiffany Tang, who appeared in Chinese Paladin 3, which is perhaps my favorite television series to date. I saw it when I was in China. I am not sure where it is available here in the West.

Oenoe

For the other nymphs, nearly any Bollywood actresses or Japanese Gravure idols will do.

giesha

The Hormagaunt Soorm will have to be played by a special effect. I recommend Liam Neeson as the voice actor, only because I adored him in Rob Roy, a movie which I think I am the only person who saw.

soorm

Note: the above is not a picture of Liam Nelson, nor, unless my history books lied, of Rob Roy

Mentor Ull can be played, with some heavy makeup and trick photography, by Leo McKern, the British actor.

Mentor Ull

The Preceptor Illiance can be played by veteran character actor Lionel Jeffries.

Preceptor Illiance

About John C Wright

John C. Wright is a practicing philosopher, a retired attorney, newspaperman, and newspaper editor, and a published author of science fiction. Once a Houyhnhnm, he was expelled from the august ranks of purely rational beings when he fell in love; but retains an honorary title.
This entry was posted in Drollery, Fancies. Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Casting Game for HERMETIC MILLENNIA

1. The OFloinn says:

I saw Rob Roy.

2. Don says:

You can find Chinese Paladin 3 here. It’s only partly subtitled, though.

3. Captain Peabody says:

I confess that I imagined every line Del Azarchel said in both books pronounced in the inimitable voice of the great Ricardo Montalban. I find it hard to imagine anyone playing the elegant and sympathetic, yet boundlessly cruel superman as well as he.

4. Stevo Darkly says:

I do not often comment here, but I had to stand up and say that I saw Rob Roy several times. (After seeing it in the cinema, I bought the DVD.) It is one of my top 10 favorite movies of all time.

I also support the casting of Ricardo Montalban.

5. deiseach says:

I third Ricardo Montalban as Ximen del Azarchel, but Roger Delgado can play Father Reyes y Pastor – the perfect blend of suavity, intelligence and convincing double-mindedness.

6. Worsel says:

I always thought that Walter Pidgeon playing Dr. Edward Morbius in the movie Forbidden Planet was the perfect Blackie DuQuesne. I guess that would make Leslie Nielsen Richard Seaton, although he dressed as the Gray Lensman in the movie. Anne Francis would also make a lovely young Rania.

7. TheMindsI says:

I concur with the others who have suggested Ricardo Montalban as Ximen. Additionally, I always pictured Michael Caine playing Mentor Ull; I think he would portray Ull’s serenity and contemptuousness rather well. Preceptor Illiance would also be played well by Hugo Weaving, imho.

Tangentially, I personally think that THM would be quite awesome as an anime, as well. ***spoilers, possibly!*** The fight scene between Meneleaus and the Chimerae seemed like it would look really cool and flashy animated in an over-the-top style, a la Gurren Lagann.

8. takashi_kurita says:

Off topic once again, but I felt this is still important.

Exhortations directly from the Holy Father, Pope Francis:

Point 54: (on page 46 of the PDF)
    In this context, some people continue to defend trickle-down theories which assume that economic growth, encouraged by a free market, will inevitably succeed in bringing about greater justice and inclusiveness in the world. This opinion, which has never been confirmed by the facts, expresses a crude and naïve trust in the goodness of those wielding economic power and in the sacralized workings of the prevailing economic system. Meanwhile, the excluded are still waiting. To sustain a lifestyle which excludes others, or to sustain enthusiasm for that selfish ideal, a globalization of indifference has developed. Almost without being aware of it, we end up being incapable of feeling compassion at the outcry of the poor, weeping for other people’s pain, and feeling a need to help them, as though all this were someone else’s responsibility and not our own. The culture of prosperity deadens us; we are thrilled if the market offers us something new to purchase. In the meantime all those lives stunted for lack of opportunity seem a mere spectacle; they fail to move us.

Point 56: (on page 47 of the PDF)
    While the earnings of a minority are growing exponentially, so too is the gap separating the majority from the prosperity enjoyed by those happy few. This imbalance is the result of ideologies which defend the absolute autonomy of the marketplace and financial speculation. Consequently, they reject the right of states, charged with vigilance for the common good, to exercise any form of control. A new tyranny is thus born, invisible and often virtual, which unilaterally and relentlessly imposes its own laws and rules. Debt and the accumulation of interest also make it difficult for countries to realize the potential of their own economies and keep citizens from enjoying their real purchasing power. To all this we can add widespread corruption and self-serving tax evasion, which have taken on worldwide dimensions. The thirst for power and possessions knows no limits. In this system, which tends to devour everything which stands in the way of increased profits, whatever is fragile, like the environment, is defenseless before the interests of a deified market, which become the only rule.

Point 57: (on the following page)
    Behind this attitude lurks a rejection of ethics and a rejection of God. Ethics has come to be viewed with a certain scornful derision. It is seen as counterproductive, too human, because it makes money and power relative. It is felt to be a threat, since it condemns the manipulation and debasement of the person. In effect, ethics leads to a God who calls for a committed response which is outside the categories of the marketplace. When these latter are absolutized, God can only be seen as uncontrollable, unmanageable, even dangerous, since he calls human beings to their full realization and to freedom from all forms of enslavement. Ethics – a non-ideological ethics – would make it possible to bring about balance and a more humane social order. With this in mind, I encourage financial experts and political leaders to ponder the words of one of the sages of antiquity: “Not to share one’s wealth with the poor is to steal from them and to take away their livelihood. It is not our own goods which we hold, but theirs”.

• So the Pope says that economic growth does not bring greater justice to the world. Which is also what Christ said. I agree the thought it important, but I do not understand your point in bringing it to my attention. What is your point? That the Pope is Catholic does not surprise me.

Pope Francis: Abortion ‘cries out in vengeance to God’; Church will never change teaching

VATICAN CITY, November 26, 2013 (LifeSiteNews.com) – In a high level teaching document released this morning, Pope Francis has firmly responded to those who have expressed hope that the Catholic Church may one day change its teachings on abortion, writing, “the Church cannot be expected to change her position on this question.”

“I want to be completely honest in this regard. This is not something subject to alleged reforms or ‘modernizations’,” he added.

“I want to be completely honest in this regard. This is not something subject to alleged reforms or ‘modernizations’,” the pope said.

Entitled “Evangelii Gaudium” (The Joy of the Gospel), the Apostolic Exhortation – a document which, while important, is of less weight than an encyclical – noted, “Among the vulnerable for whom the Church wishes to care with particular love and concern are unborn children, the most defenceless and innocent among us.”

He lamented that, “Nowadays efforts are made to deny them their human dignity and to do with them whatever one pleases, taking their lives and passing laws preventing anyone from standing in the way of this.”

“Frequently, as a way of ridiculing the Church’s effort to defend their lives, attempts are made to present her position as ideological, obscurantist and conservative. Yet this defence of unborn life is closely linked to the defence of each and every other human right.”

“It involves the conviction that a human being is always sacred and inviolable, in any situation and at every stage of development,” he said. “Human beings are ends in themselves and never a means of resolving other problems. Once this conviction disappears, so do solid and lasting foundations for the defence of human rights, which would always be subject to the passing whims of the powers that be.”

The document marks the pope’s most in-depth discussion of abortion since his election.

The pope added that it is important to do more to more to “accompany women in very difficult situations, where abortion appears as a quick solution to their profound anguish, especially when the life developing within them is the result of rape or a situation of extreme poverty.”

9. Republican Swag says:

Mr. Wright,

I thought this was serious, about the movie, before the “jump”.

With all seriousness, have you considered an indie-level funding movie, or series of webcasts, if more appropriate? Although, with all due respect, I believe you lack the funding (or enough supporters) to go public, perhaps a self-filming movie would be appropriate?

As it would almost certainly be a smaller movie, you would have more input.

10. The_Shadow says:

I, also, saw and enjoyed Rob Roy, and have a strong strain of Irish descent.

Alas, I have never eaten mushrooms purely because hobbits like them, because I love mushrooms so much on my own recognizance. I suppose that doesn’t count?

11. ChevalierdeJohnstone says:

Saw Rob Roy. Am Scots but hem haw, erm, it’s not that far to Ireland and the old folks in the family used to wink there might have been some mixing here and there.

That fungus is a wonderful food simply confirms that hobbits know how to appreciate the bounty of the earth to its fullest.

I must say that from what little I’ve seen Chinese Paladin 3 is crap. Bad special effects and bad acting. If it brings you all enjoyment that is certainly good, but you ought to try watching some of the period dramas from the 90s, when Chinese TV was balanced between the reclamation of traditional stories and the introduction of Western technology. Men were men and women were princesses, and they didn’t need flying swords and computerized imagery to evoke excitement.

Then again I think American TV after 1966 is basically crap too, so that may indicate my biases.

Favorite Lionel Jeffries line: “The big brown bear went lolliping over the mountain.”

• I see that I should not recommend a show called DR WHO to you, or a show called STAR TREK, or a movie called STAR WARS, since you have such high standards for special effects.

I am puzzled and surprised by your comments about bad acting. The acting seemed superb to me, especially in the scenes with the daughter of Nuwa pining for her reincarnated lover who does not remember her; or the scene where the demon is tempting the Taoist monk with despair, by showing him the hopelessness of life trapped in endless reincarnations. I certainly cannot think of any scene on a television show, sci-fi or muggle, to match it for depth.

12. PersonalLiberation says:

I love this series! Was oozing over the updated entry on Amazon.com for Judge of Ages recently.

Imaging the casting is fun. Good choices, Mr. Wright, but we have to do something about Liam Neeson :P

If I can be so bold, here are some alternatives:
    Menelaus: Matthew McConaughey
    Ximen del Azarchel: Oscar Isaac
    Rania: Rachel Weiss
    Oenoe: Scarlet Johansson

13. Republican Swag says:

Mr. Wright,

When I possess some wealth, I may buy the cinematic rights to your book; might as well give it a try.

Perhaps I can draft up a basic outline for CTAT only. With my opinion, THM is much weaker as a novel, and, even hypothetically, does not deserve my time.

I may create some relevant artwork of pivotal moments in CTAT, to get the works going.
    Thank you for your time, sir.

• I suggest LAST GUARDIAN or ORPHANS OF CHAOS is more visually exciting. Or, best of all, NULL-A CONTINUUM.

• Weaker as a novel? I had almost the opposite reaction. How do you figure? I realize that there’s no accounting for taste, if it comes to that, but there is definitely a certain degree of thinking that usually goes behind such a view, and I’m honestly curious about yours.

I noted more thematic and tonal consistency in HERMETIC MILLENNIA than any of our host’s other novel-length books. Moreover, the themes and tone were, similarly, more interesting. It was in a sense a series of short stories and therefore out of bounds for a novel, but even then each “story” built on each preceding “story.” (Now that I think of it, I think one of these days I’m going to read the chapters backwards to see if it works the other way, too.)

In fact, the weaknesses I can think of off the top of my head are three:

1. In the beginning it took a while to find its “sea legs.”
      2. It has several “con trail” moments where the tone is broken by banter. That’s more a feature than a flaw of our host’s writing style, however.
      3. Cliffhanger ending. Still, this works marvelously well as an interlude.