Political Correctness is a Mental Disease

As a science fiction writer, I am abashed and appalled when real life things happening on Earth sound more, starkly, blitheringly, Lovecraftianesquely insane than anything I can imagine happening on Mars or Mongo, or on Earth after the release of the Brain-Eater bacillus.

You cannot make this stuff up.

A high school teacher has been disciplined after a parent says the man told his black son that Santa Claus is white.

Officials at the school in Rio Rancho, New Mexico, about 24 kilometres north of Albuquerque, announced that the teacher recently was disciplined for his comments to the student, but they declined to say how, KOB-TV reported.

The move came after students at Cleveland High School were told they could come to class dressed as Santa, an elf or a reindeer.

Michael Rougier said his son, Christopher, arrived wearing a Santa hat and beard, and the teacher asked the boy: “Don’t you know Santa Clause is white? Why are you wearing that?”

Michael Rougier said the teacher’s comments enraged him.

“There’s no room for that in the classroom,” he said. “Whether this teacher felt Christopher may have been wearing this out of context, there’s no room for it. There’s just no room for it.”

The incident happened the same week that Fox News Channel’s Megyn Kelly said on the air that both Santa Claus and Jesus were white. Her comments drew national attention and prompted a slew of heated comments on blogs and social media sites.

A spokesman for Rio Rancho Public Schools said the Cleveland High School teacher knows he made a “dumb” mistake and has since apologized to the Rougier family.

“This situation involves a teacher recently hired by Cleveland High who made – and admits he made – a stupid mistake. The remark was inappropriate and should not have been made,” said Kim Vesely, Director of Parent, Community, and Staff Engagement for Rio Rancho Public Schools.

Vesely said the teacher had been put on paid administrative leave

Michael Rougier said he still has concerns. “If he has that attitude, how is it affecting students, studies, grading habits, trending toward Caucasian kids?” Rougier said of the teacher.

The teacher still works at Cleveland, but Christopher has been removed from his class, KOB-TV reported.

Not to cause more controversy, but I have it on good authority that Joshua ben Joseph, the Messiah, was Jewish (which only counts as ‘White’ when and if the Thought Police servicing Political Correctness say so. Other times, not). As far as I know, Santa Claus is a make believe character who is described as a right jolly old elf, whom paraanthropoligists have determined is racial memory of the Pictish peoples who migrated from Atlantis, or else members of Homo floresiensis. Scholarly opinion is divided.

Saint Nicholas, the Patron Saint of Mariners, also known as Nicholai of Myra, is a fourth century figure, famous for sneaking gold into the houses of a man who otherwise would have sold his virgin daughters into prostitution, to award them a dowry for marriage. His feast day is December 6th. He is said to have been born at Patara in Lycia, a province of Asia Minor.

St. Nicholas was well known for his piety, and many miracles. and was seized and tortured by police, refusing to recant, and released when Constantine became Emperor.

St. Nicholas also punched out Arius the Heresiarch of the Arians at the Council of Nicaea. My kind of Santa! (An Arian is either one who misdoubts the coequal divinity of Christ, or bronze-age Indians who are also somehow Prussians. I get the two confused.)

coca-cola_child_with_santa_1938-610x413Saint Nicholas was so beloved that centuries later the Coca Cola company depicted him in a famous soft drink ad dressed in the red and white which are the official Coke heraldic colors;  and Clement Clarke Moore wrote a poem about his feast day eve visit that has since become a classic.  Gene Autry, the Singing Cowboy, wrote a sequel to Moore (what we would now call a fanfic) in the form of a song about one of his flying magical reindeer with a grotesque nasal impediment.

It is a little known fact that one of Moore’s more controversial stanza was suppressed by the racial censor at the time. Erudite scholarship has unearthed it.

His eyes-how they twinkled! his dimples how merry!
His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!
His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
And the beard of his chin was as white as the snow.

His eyes-how they slanted! His skin, a dusk yellow!
And racial features the same as any North Polar fellow!
I saw with a start that he was an Eskimo!
(Which only sort of makes sense, you know!)

Nanuk_Port_Harrison_1920

The REAL Santa Claus (File Photo)

The Censor disapproved the use of the word, Eskimo, and suggest the line should read, “He was an Inuit. Which only makes sense, didn’t it?” But Moore removed the racial description entirely, changing his figure to an Elf.

Scholars affirm that Santa is a Njoldor, descended of Celebrimbor of Hollin (note the similarity to Holly, Santa’s heraldic leaf), who are the craftiest of the Elder Kindred with the making of fair and fine objects, and wise in the ring-lore.

Celebrimbor

Santa’s Elves at Work

There is mounting evidence, however, that Santa is not an ‘elf’ of any kind, but a member of the Northern Water tribe, whose girlfriend is the moon.

Yue

Mrs Claus

Others say Mrs Claus is a redhead. And stacked. The debate continues.

santa_jessica

Jessica Claus of the Northern Water Tribe

So far, all agree she wears blue.

Santa Claus is coming to Town Jessica

They First Meet when she Orders a Coca Cola

But as for the real Saint Nick on whom the legends is based, he is from Asia Minor, making him a Roman, or Romani, from whom the present day gypsies are descended. I am not sure if that counts as ‘White’ or not. Legend says the gypsies stole the Fourth Nail which otherwise would have been used to crucify Christ, and for this little act of mercy, any petty thefts or frauds they commit are forgiven.

Born in Lycia, I believe Lycians count as ‘White’ when and if the Thought Police servicing Political Correctness say so. Other times, not. Since the Mountains of the Caucasus run through Asia Minor, it is safe to say the Lycians are Caucasians technically, albeit they are only ‘White’ if one of them shoots Treyvon Martin. I believe that is the way the Politically Correct Ahnenpass rules now work. Aren’t you glad we live in a country with Ahnenpass rules, dear Americans?

So that is the controversy. What race is Santa? That is the most important thing about what the figure symbolizes. His skin color.

Why does the world, dead in its sins, and damned to the grave and corruption, at this season of year, think on these things, and on these things decide to become ravished with ire?

Wrath comes not from misfortune, but from a feeling that one is deprived of a thing justly owed. What is owed here, and to whom? That Santa Claus should be of one color and not another, or of no color, or of any? That no one should have an opinion on this topic, or, if having an opinion, should keep silent?

I seem to recall strong objections, often repeated, when Aang and Kitara and Sokka in a recent film version of THE LAST AIRBENDER were not the correct race for members of the Water Tribe or the Air Nomads. So, in that case, race did matter very much when a member of one race could play at being a fictional character who may or may not have been another race. But in this case, the shoe is on the other foot, and the teacher, who neither stole, nor cursed, nor spat, nor gave an unfair grade, made a comment no more and no less reasonable than the partisans who slandered and demonized M Night Shaylaman as a racist, has been punished for speaking wrong speech.

sokka-aint-whiteMr Shaylaman has enough troubles trying to live down the memory of THE HAPPENING, which is still causing PTSD flashbacks in reviewers. And he is from India. Or Philadelphia. Or one of those third-world nations. Does not that make him a minority? Or at least Pennsylvania Dutch? I thought minorities by definition could not be racist, since racism is based on the powerful using their privileges to oppress the weak? Ah, but that was last year.

So this has made the news. This madness is the new normal. Soon, soon, everything in the CONDITIONING CHAMBER will begin to seem normal to you, the slanted floors, the curving mirrors, the laughter in your head, everything.

Where is your charity, mad creatures? Where is your dignity, which will allow you to suffer insult in silence, like men?

Why not try to be a little bit more like Saint Nicholas of Myra, whatever his skin color, or whatever yours. You cannot change your skin to match his, but you can ask God to change your heart to match his.

st_nicholas

Ho! Ho! HO! Merry Christmas to All!

About John C Wright

John C. Wright is a practicing philosopher, a retired attorney, newspaperman, and newspaper editor, and a published author of science fiction. Once a Houyhnhnm, he was expelled from the august ranks of purely rational beings when he fell in love; but retains an honorary title.
This entry was posted in Musings, Only Posting a Link. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Political Correctness is a Mental Disease

1. Mary says:

I saw an image: an icon of St. Nicholas, with the text: He knows if you’ve been bad or good. He knows if you believe in the eternal generation of the Son.

2. DaveSomething says:

John, I am typically right with you, but here I have a doubt. What if a black kid dressed up as Superman, and a teacher made that comment? “Don’t you know that Superman is white?” I don’t think it would be unreasonable for the kid and his family to be offended by that.
    Suspension seems like an awfully stiff punishment, though. But in principle, the teacher’s comment seems very inappropriate.

• ChevalierdeJohnstone says:

“Don’t you know” is rarely used charitably. It tends to be phrasing used in ridicule. It is doubly damning for a teacher to use such language with their student, since the more pertinent question is “why don’t you know,” and the culpability is at least partly the teacher’s.

What’s unreasonable here is that the child’s family is, apparently, offended by the reference to a particular skin color, rather than being offended by evidence that the teacher is immature and perhaps not ready for the responsibility of being a teacher. This is what Great Leap Big Brother has taught: don’t be angry that you are forced to eat slop and like it; be angry that you didn’t get as much slop as some other schmuck.

• Did you think I was defending the teacher’s comment? I see that my sarcasm needs sharpening. I spent the whole essay calling it INSANE to be concerned with the skin color of make believe people.

I condemn the teacher’s comment. I strongly condemn the whiny father, who should have been satisfied with a private apology and a handshake, like a gentleman. I extremely strongly condemn the school officials, who should be hanged by the neck from the nearest lamppost by an enraged mob of parents, in outrage and horror that lunatic were given authority over their children. Sorry if I was unclear. Since Santa Claus does not exist, he has no skin color properly so called. Saint Nicholas does exist, and still answers prayers, and I am certain he will permit any Son of Adam to dress in a costume honoring him.

• How is it that I can spend an entire essay mocking the discussion of the race of make believe people, and four people write in to ask me why I am defending the teacher who is discussing the race of a make believe person?

Obviously I was unclear. That is the problem of sarcasm. I condemn the teacher. I condemn the father more, for taking what should have been a private matter to the press. I condemn the school officials absolutely, and wish an angry mob of parents would descend upon them with torches and pitchforks, tar and feathers.

• I have to confess I read it the same as some of the others here. I read it and thought, “mmm, Mr. Wright, I can’t follow you there.”

Strangely though, now that I read your responses to the comments, I see your original meaning and it is clear. I haven’t had the time to figure how this happened. It is not as though your few political correctoid lurkers were raising a squawk. The first time through the sarcasm went right over my head. It is really weird because once it is pointed out, it is rather quite obvious.

Too obvious maybe?

3. Jacob says:

Maybe I misread this but…the Megyn Kelley thing is one thing. Picking on a black kid for wearing a Santa costume is quite another. Seriously? I hate PC as much of the next guy, but I do not approve, and he should be disciplined. A teacher is there to teach, not pick on kids.

• Was I in any way unclear? I regard it as not merely ridiculous but a sign of mental disorder to be concerned for the skin color of make believe people. I am offended with the teacher. I am more offended with the father, who should have been satisfied with a private apology rather than go to the press. I am extraordinarily offended with the school, who see it as their role to enforce race speech codes rather than teach the young.

Santa Claus has the same skin color as Sokka of the Southern Water Tribe, which is, none, because he is make believe. Saint Nicholas is real, and still answers prayers, and I am sure the saint will welcome any Son of Adam of any color to dress in his costume to honor him.

4. Nostreculsus says:

The thing owed is called “acceptance”. And “imagination”.

A kid shows up at a school Christmas celebration dressed as Santa, and, if the story is accurate (always a big IF), teacher says “Don’t you know Santa Clause is white? Why are you wearing that?” In effect, the boy is being excluded from his imaginative identification with the generous and festive qualities of Santa, on the basis of race.
    What father would not feel wrath at such pettiness?

I understand your adopted daughter is Chinese. Imagine she chooses to go to a school Halloween party dressed as Princess Jasmine. And she is sent home after being told “Don’t you know Princess Jasmine is Arab?” She returns as Princess Pocahontas. “Pocahontas is Native American. Change into this Mulan outfit this very minute.”

Now I know you are a man of iron self-control, who never manifests wrath. But you, even you, would be angered by such a denial of a child’s imaginative power. By such an insane restriction to a cramped, racial category. The ability to identify with others is a glory of humanity.

On the other hand, if your son wants to dress in gangsta style and affect ghetto argot, feel free to open a can of whupass.

5. Stephen J. says:

You have something of the reverse problem of a friend of mine, Mr. Wright; you are so good at doing serious and eloquent declamations that people find it hard to tell when your tongue is in your cheek. My friend, by contrast, is so well known as a witty and funny guy that on those occasions he turns serious I often find myself reflexively assuming it’s a deadpan setup for a punchline.

But the reaction here is indicative of the larger problem; you rightly call it madness, but it can be more precisely named: paranoia. No longer does anyone trust anyone else’s basic decency or good faith enough to take a wisecrack as merely a wisecrack, even if the wisecrack is in itself inappropriate and offensive as this teacher’s was, and to deal with it as nothing more than an individual wisecrack. Everything has to be judged now for what it represents, for what can be inferred from it, and the power to infer and define is always the listener’s and never the speaker’s because the speaker’s commentary is no longer believed or considered valid.

I do not know whether Freud, Derrida or Marx is most to blame, but if I had the chance I would whack all three of their heads together like coconuts.

• The basic problem is that when one puts on a costume, or performs in a play, one is pretending to be SOMEONE OTHER than who one is. I do not see why either the teacher in this case, or the race trolls in the case of poor M Night Shyalaman, don’t get that concept. For goodness’ sake, in Shakespeare’s day the girl roles where played by guy actors, and Othello the Moor was played by an Englishman.

It is pretend. I think the modern world has lost the ability to tell the difference between real and pretend. The Left spends so much of their time in pretend world, calling Clinton the First Black President and Obama the First Gay President (I kid you not), that these words have no meaning to them any more.

6. Boggy Man says:

If memory serves Odin was the one who originally rode around in a sleigh, wrapped in a red robe handing out fir trees and sweetmeals. I always thought Nicholas just took over the job once the Norsemen were converted. However after I did some reading on Nicholas and how much he despised paganism, I’m not entirely sure he just didn’t just knock him out and jack his ride.

7. Scholar-at-Arms says:

Mr Wright,

I suspect that the reason this post confused so many people is its title. Political Correctness generally defends its designated victim groups, of which Blacks are one, above all else, so a careless reading might deceive the reader into believing you were primarily criticising the designated victim group members in the story, not the man being cruel to a DVG member.

Because I remember your clear and cutting remarks on the foolish Avatar controversy, I understood you to mean this misguided teacher to bethe Politically Correct one in the story, because the notion that imaginary people can have physical properties such as skin color derives from Political Correctness. Therefore the teacher was following a tenet of Political Correctness (Santa Claus has a fixed, immutable physical property based on the Ahnenpass of the ethnicity he is most closely identified with) and in so doing violated a tenet of Political Correctness, being cruel to a DVG member. Truly a self-destroying principle.

8. oddy says:

Check out the Duck Dynasty and A&E mess and you’ll see political correctness at work as we speak. They suspend the guy on their #1 show because he said homosexual acts are a sin as it says in the Bible. A&E’s Facebook page is blowing up right now with people supporting the guy (phil robertson I think) and telling them they are boycotting their network.

9. Republican Swag says:

Mr. Wright,

You are well out of the loop, aren’t you? With my learned peers, we discussed this days ago.

Imagine this, friend. You are black, in a black country. Previously, oh- 100 years ago- the whites were unable to use the same drinking fountains as the blacks.

Now, would you not consider, as a young child, Santa to be black as well?

However, you must additionally recognize that, just as Santa is white, Pere Noel is Belgian, Baba Noel is Iranian, Hoteiosho is Japanese, and so on. With this in mind, Santa always has been, and always will be, white.

I look forward to your response, sir, and I and I appreciate your coverage on this matter.

10. fabulous_mrs_f says:

I think Christmas Elves have been dreadfully misrepresented. I want elves like those pictured at the mall, please. Also note that no one in the mainstream had any problem with Johnny Depp playing an American Indian, despite the Airbender hoopla.

11. St. Nicholas also punched out Arius the Heresiarch of the Arians at the Council of Nicaea.

… and after this, according to the probably apocryphal legend, he was severely disciplined.

The Emperor Constantine and the bishops present at the Council were alarmed by Nicholas’ act of violence against Arius. They immediately stripped Nicholas of his office as a bishop by confiscating the two items that marked out a man as a Christian bishop: Nicholas’ personal copy of the Gospels and his pallium (the vestment worn by all bishops in the East).