Progress Report

Over at Vox Day’s website, a reader named Brad Andrews posted a question for me:

“It would be nice to have some indication of the status of future efforts in your series, especially the Count to a Trillion one. I could not find anything specific when I looked around earlier.”

As of the time of this writing, the first three books are in print: COUNT TO A TRILLION, THE HERMETIC MILLENNIA, JUDGE OF AGES.

The next volume, ARCHITECT OF AEONS, is sitting on the editor’s desk, awaiting his corrections, revisions, advice. He will send it back to me after the copy editor redpencils it. Months will pass. The publisher will send me galley proofs. Months will pass. I am not sure when the schedule for publication is.

The next volume THE VINDICATION OF MAN, currently is on my desk, and has been stalled at chapter four for roughly seven months while I worked on other projects or stared idly at drifting clouds, or skipped nude on tiptoe through floral meadows, flabby belly bobbing energetically albeit uncouthly, plucking the scented blooms, chasing the errant butterfly, and singing arias, to spend the evening in the drunk tank at the local constabulary.

The final volume COUNT TO INFINITY exist only as an outline and a phantom bubble of daydreams, images, hints and notes.

The publisher, despite all entreaties, obdurately refuses to print the words TO BE CONTINUED at the end of each volume, leading the unwary bookbuyer to believe the apparent sudden death of my unkillable hero in the midst of his misery is, in fact, the postmodern ending of the story. Imagine what the readers of FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING would have thought if the orc attack that scatters the fellowship were presented as the end of the story, or, better, the attack by the giant spider, apparent death, and capture by the enemy of Frodo at the end of THE TWO TOWERS.

“Though see if you can keep them from raising the price of the next book even more. Each book in that series is about $4 more than the one before. I guess they figure they will hook you….”

As a Christian I am forbidden to indulge in the dark and dread arts by which one might summon up Moloch or great Dragon from the infernal night older than all worlds. Lacking such impressive yet unlawful necromantic powers, I have no influence whatsoever on the publisher’s pricing decisions.

You should not be asking me, but the reverse. Prices are set by the buying decisions of the public: I should be asking you to lower my asking price by buying more of my wares.

1. Comment by simplemind:

Its a deal.

2. Comment by Brian Niemeier:

“The next volume, ARCHITECT OF AEONS, is sitting on the editor’s desk…”

Then Tor has agreed to buy it (for now)? If so, that’s wonderful news! Have they given any indication as to whether they’ll buy the rest of the series?

3. Comment by Ed Pie:

Maybe you could convince the publisher to put “to be continued” at the end of Count to Infinity as a postmodern joke with your regular and faithful readers.

On another matter, there any plan for your Kindle format works to eventually show up in hardcover on store shelves, or should I brace myself now for the abrogation of paper and invest in some ereader?

4. Comment by AJ Wood:

Any update on SOMEWHITHER? Because that sounded very interesting.

5. Comment by HMSLion:

The subject having been raised, there’s one plot question that has been bothering me.

At the end of Count to a Trillion, Raina is falling up toward orbit (and Hermetic), Montrose is seriously injured planetside. Why didn’t she demand that her Brand New Husband be shipped up (and he better be alive)?

Not that it would seriously shift the plot line…it sets up a tearful parting scene at the Diamond Star. But it seems there’s a bit of a disconnect.

The Hermetic is being pursued by the Bellerophon, which is crewed only by Exarchel, at the time, and could not return to Earth either to make threats, take on passengers, or for any reason. Since both are sailing vessels, the ship farther from the sun had less ability to maneuver, and no ability to circumvent the pursuit vessel.

6. Comment by Maypo:

…stared idly at drifting clouds, or skipped nude on tiptoe through floral meadows, flabby belly bobbing energetically albeit uncouthly, plucking the scented blooms, chasing the errant butterfly, and singing arias, to spend the evening in the drunk tank at the local constabulary.

Did you happen to see George R. R. Martin in the meadow (or drunk tank)? Millions of people want to know.

Before I left SWFA, the last sight I saw of the SWFA Mansion in New Jersey was the sight of Mr Martin diligently at work, his eyes red with lack of sleep, his typewriter smoking, steaming, and emitting sparks, nine ashtrays filled with cigarette and cigar butts and broken hoohaks heaped about it, bags of Frito chips not only empty but ripped open and the chip-dust licked dry, drained bottles of cheap claret smashed in the hearth in a glittering pile, dead elfs on the doorstep, wounded muses with threadbare wings struggling to escape the chimney, and meanwhile a horde of medical technicians from the ninth planet of Etamin inserting a needle into the major veins of his arm so that much needed nutriment and saline could reach his brain, since in his fury he had forgotten all mortal food or perhaps foresworn it.

I saw a lonely and hooded traveler on the road walking away from the SFWA Mansion (at first I took this to be someone disgusted by news that the writers guild now protected with their silence the filth and perversions of pederasts, but who, unlike me, could make no public denunciation), and, running after the silent, looming shape, asked in wonder if George RR Martin was hard at work writing the next book in his much-loved series.

“Yes!” croaked the hidden shape, pulling the hood close so that I could not see any hint of face or form. “The next WILD CARDS book should be out early next year!”

I made to grab at the creatures legs, crying and sobbing in my agony of disbelief, but the phantasm vanished like smoke, like dreams and broken hopes, and I was left kneeling in the cold mud of the roadside, weeping.

7. Comment by PersonalLiberation:

Mr. Wright,
    In a moment of dreamy wistfulness I saw that Amazon.com has a listing for The Architect of Aeons, sans cover art and description, but includes ISBN. Then proceeded to do a Google image search for The Architect of Aeons with the goal of seeing what may have inspired that name choice, get an idea for the book’s flavor, et cetera, but actually found what appears to be the book’s cover at this site: http://www.risingshadow.net/library/book/46116-the-architect-of-aeons

It seems believable, the cover and the description, but for the mention of it being a finale. Which got me curious and ultimately led to finding this post. I hope this information is useful.

Michael