Stillbrave Charity and CITY BEYOND TIME

Metachronopolis is the golden city beyond time. Ruled by the Masters of Time, who can travel freely throughout the multitudinous time lines of Man’s history, the city is a shining society of heroes and horrors. For the arrogant Masters, who steal famous men and women out of the past and bring them to the eternal city for their amusement, are not only beyond time, but beyond remorse and retribution too.

CITY BEYOND TIME: Tales of the Fall of Metachronopolis is John C. Wright’s mind-bending and astonishingly brilliant take on time travel. In making use of a centuries-spanning perspective similar to his highly-regarded  AWAKE IN THE NIGHT LAND, Wright expertly weaves a larger tale out of a series of smaller ones. Part anthology and part novel, CITY BEYOND TIME is fascinating, melancholy, frightening, and a true masterpiece of story-telling.

As you can probably imagine, we are very pleased to be able to announce that John C. Wright’s latest book is available today on Amazon in Kindle format and at Castalia House in EPUB format. Featuring a cover by the inimitable Kirk DouPonce, the book consists of six of the aforementioned tales, which, in a manner more convoluted than I can possibly hope to summarize here, collectively tell of the fate of the shining city of Metachronopolis. At 167 pages, it is a relatively short book, but one that you will almost surely find yourself reading more than once as Wright expertly explores the paradoxes inherent in the logic of time travel.

As Wright’s fans have come to expect,  CITY BEYOND TIME is more than just an intelligently entertaining story. It is also a thoughtful musing on the nature of power and its corrupting temptations. But no matter how deep the darkness runs, it can never do more than obscure the light.

And this is more than a book announcement, it is also a charity drive. About a month ago, Mr. Wright contacted me about the possibility of bringing some attention to a charity he wished to support. The charity, called Stillbrave, was started by a Christian man who lost his daughter to cancer. Mr. Wright and his wife requested that half his royalties for the first month’s sales be donated to Stillbrave, which we agreed to do. Castalia House also agreed to match his donation.

So, if you buy CITY BEYOND TIME between now and July 23rd, about half the money Castalia receives will go to Stillbrave, in the name of Mr. and Mrs. John C. Wright. Obviously, you can simply donate directly to the charity, but if you also wish to honor Mr. Wright’s efforts, the most efficient means of doing so will be to purchase the book through Castalia House. If you have not yet read Mr. Wright’s work, you may be interested to know that we are giving away his AWAKE IN THE NIGHT today and tomorrow on Amazon.

1. Comment by LostSailor:

Got my Kindle copy this afternoon (converted to epub and loaded on the Nook). Looking forward to a good read and glad to be helping a good cause.

Also just finished re-reading Awake in the Night Land, after reading The Night Land and getting (but not reading yet) House on the Borderland. I enjoyed Awake in the Night Land first time through, but after reading Hodgson and knowing about Borderland, it meant so much more.

2. Comment by Sylvie D. Rousseau:

“No matter how deep the darkness runs, it can never do more than obscure the light.”
    This is extremely well said, and full of hope. Is it a quote?

3. Comment by robertjwizard:

Although I am in the middle of rereading Wolf’s Book of the New Sun, I downloaded it to get in on the charity donation. Thanks for the book and a chance to do something good. Not that I don’t think reading your works is something good….

4. Comment by Sean Michael:

Being a benighted reactionary who PREFERS hard copy books, I’ll have to wait till if and when Mr. Wright’s CITY BEYOND TIME is available in printed form before I read it. But, it certainly seems very interesting and well worth reading.

Coincidentally, I’m rereading Poul Anderson’s THE TIME PATROL, which collects all but one of his shorter Time Patrol stories. After which I plan to read later this summer his Time Patrol novel THE SHIELD OF TIME. The point I wish to stress is asking how Mr. Wright would compare Poul Anderson’s speculations on time travel and history to his own CITY BEYOND TIME.

Yes, I’m hoping Mr. Wright will write a Poul Anderson related essay, but only if he wants to! (Smiles)

Sean M. Brooks

5. Comment by tmbridgeland:

I got to see a pre-release version, part of the proofreading team. Preaching to the choir here, but it really is good. I only rarely bother reading time travel stories, always seems such a cheap cop-out by the author, a get-out-of-jail free card when he writes himself into a corner. These stories are not that! I have never seen the contradictions of time travel presented so well; the contradictions are the fabric of the stories.

6. Comment by ConceptJunkie:

I picked up a copy from Castalia House last night and it’s in the queue. I’m looking forward to this. Time travel stories have always been something I’ve enjoyed, especially when the author puts a new spin on the idea, and I have no doubt “City Beyond Time” will deliver something really interesting.

7. Comment by D. Lyons:

Purchased it this morning and just finished ‘Slayer of Souls’, which is so far my second favorite story after ‘Murder in Metachronopolis’.