Architect of Aeons Cover

My next volume of my Count to the Eschaton Sequence is scheduled to go on sale, according to one source, in April of 2015. This is not the official announcement from the publisher, so it is possible someone is jumping the gun.

Cover below the cut. Personally, I think this is great cover art:

cover Architect of Aeons

The climactic and wildly inventive fourth volume in a series exploring future history and human evolution.

The epic and mind-blowing finale to this visionary space opera series surpasses all expectation: Menelaus Montrose, having forged an uneasy alliance with his immortal adversary, Ximen del Azarchel, maps a future on a scale beyond anything previously imagined. No longer concerned with the course of history across mere millennia, Montrose and del Azarchel have become the architects of aeons, bringing forth minds the size of planets as they steer the bizarre intellectual descendants of an extinct humanity.

Ever driving their labors and their enmity is the hope of reunion with their shared lost love, the posthuman Rania, whose eventual return is by no means assured, but who may unravel everything these eternal rivals have sought to achieve.

Time to nitpick!

I am not sure who wrote this blurb, but this is not the end of the series, not the climax, and not the finale. (It may be the last book Tor chooses to publish, the if sales are inadequate, however. That is up to you, the readers, to decide.) The next volume is tentatively titled THE VINDICATION OF MAN and the last COUNT TO INFINITY.

Nor is mankind extinct during the course of this volume; that happens two books from now. On the other hand, the current version of mankind is indeed gone, but that has been the case since the opening chapter of volume two, when the Sylphs replace the Giants as the dominant subspecies of man.

The rest of the blurb is accurate, and captures some of the scope and daring of the tale.

1. Comment by Brian Niemeier:

John Harris’ covers keep getting more and more impressive!

2. Comment by deiseach:

Excellent news, Mr Wright! And I am also much relieved to learn that the fourth volume is *not* the climax; I was thinking to myself “But I’m sure this was meant to be six volumes – either I am mistaken, or could Tor have decided it all had to be wrapped up in four?”

If my spinster’s (I am not a widow) mite can help tilt the scales in favour of publishing the last two volumes, then as soon as this may be pre-ordered, count me in!

3. Comment by simplemind:

Off topic, but still about your books so okay I hope.

I am about half way through: Awake in the Night Land. I keep thinking about purgatory as I read it. So much so that I have taken to reciting the prayer of St. Gertrude the Great.

4. Comment by Zjerzy:

Spaceship looks suitably sinister (is this Hermetic or Emancipation?) but in my opinion this cover needs more explosions and at least one young woman in skimpy space suit.

5. Comment by HMSLion:

I’m in for a hardcover, of course. Though I’m hoping for the customary happy ending for the series. After all, John Carter may have had to chase from one end of Barsoom to the other to rescue Dejah Thoris, but he does recover his wife in the end.

6. Comment by jesusLover:

This cover underscores the subliminal relationship between Catholicism and Mormonism and their plot to destroy true Christianity. The spaceship is the womb of a demon goddess taking souls to the Planet Kolob which is in fact Hell. Catholics and Mormons think their churches and pagan idols will save them, but only Jesus truly saves!

• Comment by Nate Winchester:

If troll: I applaud your cleverness.

If not: dude, sober up.

Sorry to call a halt to mocking the troll, but I feel sorry for the guy, and he ran afoul of one of my posted rules about calling other people unchristian as a debate tactic.

• Comment by Nate Winchester:

Awwww ok but I was looking forward to figuring out how the spaceship was a womb and where the Planet Kolob was in the Catechism. I mean I know I’m a filthy Protestant but I’m pretty sure that place isn’t there.

Ooooo… there’s a story idea! Space Catechisms! Or did Yoda already corner that market?

• Comment by RKW:

Kolob comes from us heretical Mormons and some of our scriptures you apostates don’t accept. Specifically the book of Abraham in the Pearl of Great Price.
            As for Space Catechisms, doesn’t Futurama have that covered with the Space Pope?

• Comment by Nate Winchester:

They have the space pope but we’ve never heard of any doctrines yet…

Much less whether the Robot Church is a part of the Space Pope’s flock or a separate branch. I’d guess somewhat the former since robot monks are established elsewhere in the show too.

You ever read the Futurama comic? One issue Bender took over robot Hell for the R. Devil for a time. Classic.

• Comment by ConceptJunkie:

I always wondered if the Futurama writers ever worked out their different religions in detail, or were just using them whenever the situation or a joke called for it.

Knowing those guys, I would suspect the former, seeing as how they are at least as nerdy and obsessed as their fans.

I guess the Robot Church worships Robot Jesus, although he was only mentioned by the Jewish robot who was describing him to Fry. The Preacher Bot never mentions him.

The comic was really good in the early years, at least according to the collections they’ve re-released. I regret that I didn’t collect it, but I do have the re-released material.

• Comment by Sean Michael:

This kinda reminded me of my own little essay titled “God and Alien in Anderson’s Technic Civilization.” Using some of the works of Poul Anderson I speculated about some of the theological implications of intelligent life being found on other worlds.

Sean M. Brooks

• Comment by John Hutchins:

That is really too bad, I was looking forward to learning more about “the subliminal relationship between Catholicism and Mormonism and their plot to destroy true Christianity” but not enough to actually email him.

I am also wondering if he is/was familiar enough with both Isis and Kolob in the Book of Abraham to know that he is saying that the astrological (or mythological) representation of Sirius is taking souls to Sirius, which unless I seriously missed something is not where that spaceship is headed.

7. Comment by TheMindsI:

I really like the new cover, though I confess of all of the covers so far, I think my favorite is that of Count to a Trillion. I can’t wait to read this new volume; each one, so far, has been better than the last, and that is certainly saying something, considering that CtaT was so good.

I’m a bit confused though, Mr. Wright, and might have just missed it somewhere in your blog posts: why did you change the title from The Concubine Vector? That had a really nice ring to it, so I was wondering if Tor made you change it, or it was a decision you made on your own?

Oh, and for what it’s worth, I think The Vindication of Man is one of the coolest titles you’ve ever devised, and should not be tinkered with in the slightest.

8. Comment by johnedko:

I am happy to see more coming in this series – I just finished Count to a Trillion and really enjoyed it. Last night I had so many things to do (work on curriculum for homeschooling the kids, work on plans for expansion of house, clean kitchen, design set for next community theatre) – but instead I read the book for 3.5 hours. The sequel is already listed on my next book order.

Now, with my geek hat on (we all have them, don’t we?) there are a large number of references to different mathematical theorems, etc. which I could place. But there were also large numbers of ones that I didn’t recognize. Is there a cheat sheet somewhere showing what are references to “real” issues and which are “future” issues? (I apologize in advance if they are all real). I am always curious what references are current and which are future. (And for the real ones that I don’t recognize, time to learn some new math!)

Thanks and I look forward to reading more (now on to book 1 of the Dresden Files).

-John

You are, in effect, asking me to undo the illusion of verisimilitude I with such craft created.

The answer is that of course I cheated. Are you familiar with the Millennial Prize Problems? My science-fictional assumption is that the Hermeticists are the people who solved them, which is why they were selected for the Hermetic Mission.

It is never stated anywhere in the text, but the unspoken assumption is that when the Monument Notation is first introduced to the Earthmen (if you recall, the Croesus, a robot probe, sent back initial images and analysis of the Monument before any manned expedition was attempted), there is a mathematical revolution, and most of these problems are solved within the same few years, in one generation.

• Comment by johnedko:

Thank you very much for your response. In my desire to advance my knowledge I let myself forget the artistic side of the exercise – I do apologize for that.

Thank you for the reminder on the Millennial Prize Problems, I remember one of them being solved, but looking up the others (there are 6 of them left) had fallen down on my to-do list.

It does make sense that given the example of the Monument to guide some though process that some advances would be made – many times just knowing there is a solution is enough to spark someone to find it.

Thank you again for writing this series of books, I look forward to enjoying the other volumes in the set, as well as reminding me about the Millennial Problems – I will share them with the kids to show that there are uncharted frontiers all around them – even still in math.

-John

9. Comment by MattK:

While it’s not really any of my business, I have to express curiosity about how your Castalia House-published books are selling compared to your Tor-published books. For this reason: if the Eschaton books were published by CH and available for $5.99ish, I’d own them all already. But $9-$11 eBook prices from Tor I have to actually fit into the monthly budget, and by the time I get around to working that out, I’ve often spent the monthly book budget on a couple of cheaper ones. And typically I wait awhile for those, until the Kindle prices fall to something a bit more reasonable. Although, ultimately you are on the very short “buy anyway” list… *sigh. I have a book problem.

So while, purely selfishly, I would wish that the last two books in the series wind up *not* published by Tor, I wouldn’t want to wish that on you if it meant diminishing your earnings for them.

On the gripping hand, I’d also hate to deprive you of the services of Tor’s superb art department. Is that a John Harris cover? It has much the same style as several of his works from the Hugo voters’ packet.

10. Comment by BigFire:

I just start reading Count to A Trillion and I have a question regarding the naming of one of the character. Ximen del Azarchel, why did you choose an rather obscure Chinese surname for the first name of an important character? Did it have anything to do with the actual literal meaning of the name (West Gate)?

11. Comment by BigFire:

One unanswered question: what becomes the starship that Ximen send after Hermetic? It’ll arrive a couple of years later at the Diamond star, minus the breaking laser (actually, minus the star period). Would it drift off to the infinite, just another rogue object in space?