John C. Wright is a retired attorney, newspaperman and newspaper editor, who was only once on the lam and forced to hide from the police who did not admire his newspaper.
In 1987, he graduated from the College and William and Mary’s Law School (going from the third oldest to the second oldest school in continuous use in the United States), and was admitted to the practice of law in three jurisdictions (New York, May 1989; Maryland December 1990; DC January 1994). His law practice was unsuccessful enough to drive him into bankruptcy soon thereafter. His stint as a newspaperman for the St. Mary’s Today was more rewarding spiritually, but, alas, also a failure financially. He presently works (successfully) as a writer in Virginia, where he lives in fairy-tale-like happiness with his wife, the authoress L. Jagi Lamplighter (Annapolis, class of 1985), and their four children: Evelyn, Orville, Wilbur, and Just Wright.
Publications by John C. Wright:
• Farthest Man from Earth, (novella) Asimov’s Science Fiction Vol. 19 # 4 & 5, No.229-230, April 1995.
• Guest Law, (novella) Asimov’s Science Fiction Vol. 21 # 6, No.258, June 1997;
——– Reprinted in Year’s Best SF 3, ed. David G. Hartwell, HarperPrism, 1998.
• Not Born a Man, (short story) Aberrations #24, October 1994.
——- Reprinted in No Longer Dreams, ed. Danielle McPhail, Lite Circle, 2005.
• Forgotten Causes, (short story) Absolute Magnitude #16, Summer 2001.
——– Reprinted in Breech the Hull, ed. Mike McPhail, Marietta Publishing (October, 2007)
• Awake in the Night (novella) appearing in William Hope Hodgson’s Night Lands: Eternal Love, edited by Andy W. Robertson, Wildside Press (December 2003).
——– Reprinted in: The Year’s Best Science Fiction 21st Annual Collection, ed. Gardner Dozois,
——– And in: Best Short Novels 2003 (Science Fiction Book Club), ed. Jonathan Strahan
• Last of All Suns (novella) electronic publication, (novella) appearing in William Hope Hodgson’s Night Lands II: Nightmares of the Fall, edited by Andy W. Robertson, Three Legged Fox Books (2006).
• Silence of the Night (short story) Readercon 18 Souvenir Book, 2007 Readercon, Inc.
——– Reprinted in electronic publication, Andy W. Robertson, ed. His website http://www.thenightland.co.uk/nightsilenceofthenight.html
• Cry of the Night Hound (novella) appearing in William Hope Hodgson’s Night Lands II: Nightmares of the Fall, edited by Andy W. Robertson, Three Legged Fox Books (2006).
• Father’s Monument, (short story) No Longer Dreams, ed. Danielle McPhail, Lite Circle (2005)
• The Kindred, (short story) No Longer Dreams, ed. Danielle McPhail, Lite Circle (2005)
• Peter Power Armor, (short story) Breach the Hull, ed. Mike McPhail Marietta Publishing (2007)
• Guyal the Curator (short story) Songs of the Dying Earth, ed. Gardner Dozois, Subterranean (2008)
• The Far End of History (short story) New Space Opera II, ed. Gardner Dozois, Eos (2009)
• One Bright Star to Guide Them (novella) The Magazine Of Fantasy & Science Fiction, ed. Gordon van Gelder, April-May 2009 issue.
• Last Report on Unit Twenty-Two (short story) So It Begins, ed. Mike McPhail, Dark Quest book
• Choosers of the Slain (short story) Clockwork Phoenix, ed. Mike Allen, Norilana Books (July 1, 2008)
• Twilight of the Gods (Novella) Federations, ed, John Joseph Adams, Prime Books (April, 2009)
• On the People’s Business (short story) Dappled Things, ed. Katy Carl, Mary Queen of Angels 2009 issue (web publication)
• Murder in Metachronopolis (novella) Clockwork Phoenix, ed. Mike Allen, Norilana Books (July, 2010)
• Judgment Eve (novella) Engineering Infinity, ed. Jonathan Strahan, Solaris Books, London (2011)
THE GOLDEN AGE (novel) Tor Books (April 2002)
THE PHOENIX EXULTANT (novel) Tor Books (April 2003)
THE GOLDEN TRANSCENDENCE (novel) Tor Books (November 2003)
LAST GUARDIANS OF EVERNESS (novel) Tor Books (August 2004)
MISTS OF EVERNESS (novel) Tor Books (March 2005)
ORPHANS OF CHAOS (novel) Tor Books (November 2005)—Nominated for a Nebula
FUGITIVES OF CHAOS (novel) Tor Books (November 2006)
TITANS OF CHAOS (novel) Tor Books (April 2007)
NULL-A CONTINUUM (novel) Tor Books (May, 2008)
COUNT TO A TRILLION (novel) Tor Books (December 2011)
THE HERMETIC MILLENNIA (novel) Tor Books (December 2012)
THE JUDGE OF AGES (novel) Tor Books (forthcoming)
• MAY THE MIDICHLORIANS BE WITH YOU; The absence of religion and ethics in Star Wars, (essay) Star Wars on Trial, ed. David Brin, Benbella Books (June, 2006).
• TWAS BEAUTY KILLED THE BEAST; King Kong and the American Character, (essay) King Kong is Back, ed. David Brin, Benbella Books (November 2005).
• JUST THROW HIM IN THE ENGINE; Or The Role of Chivalry in FIREFLY, (essay) Finding Serenity, ed. Glen Yeffeth, Benbella Books (April 1, 2005).
• HEROES OF DARKNESS AND LIGHT; Or, Why My Girl Goes For Batman over Superman (essay) Batman Unauthorized, ed. Glen Yeffeth, Benbella Books (March 1, 2008).
• ALIENS NEED REDEMPTION TOO (essay) Catholic Herald (June 2008)
• C.S. LEWIS WAS THE JOSHUA FLATTENING THE WALLS OF MY DISBELIEF (testimonial) Mere Christians—Inspiring Stories of Encounters with C. S. Lewis, ed. Andrew Lazo and Mary Anne Phemister, Baker Books (February, 2009)
You can visit my boast page at https://www.sff.net/people/john-c-wright/index.html