John C. Wright is a retired attorney, newspaperman and newspaper editor, who was only once on the lam and forced to hide from the police who did not admire his newspaper.
In 1984, Graduated from St. John’s College in Annapolis, home of the “Great Books” program. In 1987, he graduated from the College and William and Mary’s Law School (going from the third oldest to the second oldest school in continuous use in the United States), and was admitted to the practice of law in three jurisdictions (New York, May 1989; Maryland December 1990; DC January 1994). His law practice was unsuccessful enough to drive him into bankruptcy soon thereafter. His stint as a newspaperman for the St. Mary’s Today was more rewarding spiritually, but, alas, also a failure financially. He presently works (successfully) as a writer in Virginia, where he lives in fairy-tale-like happiness with his wife, the authoress L. Jagi Lamplighter, and their four children: Pingping, Orville, Wilbur, and Just Wright.
Publications by John C. Wright:
- Farthest Man from Earth, (novella) Asimov’s Science Fiction Vol. 19 # 4 & 5, No.229-230, April 1995.
- Guest Law, (novella) Asimov’s Science Fiction Vol. 21 # 6, No.258, June 1997;
–reprinted in Year’s Best SF 3, ed. David G. Hartwell, HarperPrism, 1998.
- Not Born a Man, (short story) Aberrations #24, October 1994.
– reprinted in No Longer Dreams, ed. Danielle McPhail, Lite Circle, 2005.
- Forgotten Causes, (short story) Absolute Magnitude #16, Summer 2001.
–reprinted in Breech the Hull, ed. Mike McPhail, Marietta Publishing (October, 2007)
- Awake in the Night (novella) appearing in William Hope Hodgson’s Night Lands: Eternal Love, edited by Andy W. Robertson, Wildside Press (December 2003).
–reprinted in: The Year’s Best Science Fiction 21st Annual Collection, ed. Gardner Dozois,
–and Best Short Novels 2003 (Science Fiction Book Club), ed. Jonathan Strahan
–and published separately as Awake in the Night Castalia House (May, 2014)
- Last of All Suns (novella) appearing in William Hope Hodgson’s Night Lands II: Nightmares of the Fall, edited by Andy W. Robertson, Three Legged Fox Books (2006).
- Silence of the Night (short story) Readercon 18 Souvenir Book, 2007 Readercon, Inc.
– reprinted in electronic publication, Andy W. Robertson, ed. His website http://www.thenightland.co.uk/nightsilenceofthenight.html
- Cry of the Night Hound (novella) appearing in William Hope Hodgson’s Night Lands II: Nightmares of the Fall, edited by Andy W. Robertson, Three Legged Fox Books (2006).
- Father’s Monument, (short story) No Longer Dreams, ed. Danielle McPhail, Lite Circle (2005)
- The Kindred, (short story) No Longer Dreams, ed. Danielle McPhail, Lite Circle (2005)
- Peter Power Armor, (short story) Breach the Hull, ed. Mike McPhail Marietta Publishing (2007)
- Guyal the Curator (short story) Songs of the Dying Earth, ed. Gardner Dozois, Subterranean (2008)
- The Far End of History (short story) New Space Opera II, ed. Gardner Dozois, Eos (2009)
- One Bright Star to Guide Them (short story) The Magazine Of Fantasy & Science Fiction, ed. Gordon van Gelder, April-May 2009 issue.
- Last Report on Unit Twenty-Two (short story) So It Begins, ed. Mike McPhail, Dark Quest book
- Choosers of the Slain (short story) Clockwork Phoenix, ed. Mike Allen, Norilana Books (July 1, 2008)
- Twilight of the Gods (novella) Federations, ed, John Joseph Adams, Prime Books (April, 2009)
—Reprinted in Years Best Science Fiction 27th Annual Collection ed. Gardner Dozois
- On the People’s Business (short story) Dappled Things, ed. Katy Carl, Mary Queen of Angels 2009 issue (web publication)
- Murder in Metachronopolis (novella) Clockwork Phoenix, ed. Mike Allen, Norilana Books (July, 2010)
- Judgment Eve (novella) Engineering Infinity, ed. Jonathan Strahan, Solaris Books, London (2011)
- A Random World of Delta Capricorni Aa, Also Called Scheddi (short story) electronic publication Flash Fiction Online, ed. Jake Freivald, May 2010 issue.
- The Lunar Sacrament of Confession (novella) Altered Perceptions, ed. Brandon Sanderson (2011)
- The Ideal Machine (short story) Sci Phi Journal: Issue #1, October 2014.
- Idle Thoughts (short story) Abyss & Apex: Issue 52: 4th Quarter 2014.
Short Fiction Published Separately
Awake in the Night (Novella) Castalia House (May, 2014)
One Bright Star to Guide Them (novella) Castalia House (September, 2014) — expanded and revised from a previous short story for this publication.
The Golden Oecumene Trilogy
THE GOLDEN AGE (novel) Tor Books (April, 2002)
THE PHOENIX EXULTANT (novel) Tor Books (April, 2003)
THE GOLDEN TRANSCENDENCE (novel) Tor Books (November, 2003)
The Books of Everness
LAST GUARDIANS OF EVERNESS (novel) Tor Books (August, 2004)
MISTS OF EVERNESS (novel) Tor Books (March, 2005)
The Chronicles of Chaos
ORPHANS OF CHAOS (novel) Tor Books (November, 2005)—Nominated for a Nebula
FUGITIVES OF CHAOS (novel) Tor Books (November, 2006)
TITANS OF CHAOS (novel) Tor Books (April, 2007)
A.E. van Vogt’s Null-A
NULL-A CONTINUUM (novel) Tor Books (May, 2008)
The Count to the Eschaton Sequence
COUNT TO A TRILLION (novel) Tor Books (December, 2011)
THE HERMETIC MILLENNIA (novel) Tor Books (December, 2012)
JUDGE OF AGES (novel) Tor Books (February 2014)
ARCHITECT OF AEONS (novel) Tor Books (April, 2015)
VINDICATION OF MAN (novel) Tor Books (forthcoming)
COUNT TO INFINITY (novel) Tor Books ( forthcoming)
A Tale of the Unwithering Realm
SOMEWHITHER (novel) Castalia House (forthcoming)
NOWHITHER (novel) Castalia House (forthcoming)
AWAKE IN THE NIGHT LAND (anthology) Castalia House (April, 2014)
- Introduction: On the Lure of the Night Land (essay)
- Awake in the Night
- Cry of the Night Hound
- Silence of the Night (revised for this volume)
- Last of All Suns
CITY BEYOND TIME Tales of the Fall of Metachronopolis (anthology) Castalia House (June, 2014)
- Murder In Metachronopolis
- Choosers of the Slain
- Bride of the Time Warden
- Father’s Monument
- Slayer of Souls (original to this volume)
- The Plural of Helen of Troy (original to this volume)
THE BOOK OF FEASTS AND SEASONS Tales Inspired by Feasts and Fasts of the Calendar (anthology) Castalia House (November, 2014)
- Pale Realms of Shade (original)
- A Random World of Delta Capricorni, Called Scheddi
- Nativity (original)
- Sheathed Paw of the Lion (original)
- On the People’s Business
- The Meaning of Life as Told Me by an Inebriated Science Fiction Writer in New Jersey (original)
- The Parliament of Beasts and Birds (original)
- Eve of All Saints Day (original)
- Yes Virginia There is a Santa Claus (original)
TRANSHUMAN AND SUBHUMAN Essays on Science Fiction and Awful Truth (collected essays) Castalia House (May, 2014)
- Introduction: The Wright Stuff (by Mike Flynn)
- Transhuman and Subhuman
- The Hobbit, or, The Desolation of Tolkien
- Whistle While You Work
- Science Fiction: What is it good for?
- John C. Wright’s Patented One Session Lesson in the Mechanics of Fiction
- Swordplay in Space
- The Glory Game, or, The Bitterness of Broken Ideals
- Gene Wolfe, Genre Work, and Literary Duty
- Storytelling Is the Absence of Lying
- The Golden Compass Points in No Direction
- Faith in the Fictional War between Science Fiction and Faith
- The Big Three of Science Fiction
- The Fourth of the Big Three of Science Fiction
- Childhood’s End and Gnosticism
- Saving Science Fiction from Strong Female Characters
- Restless Heart of Darkness
- May The Midichlorians Be With You; The absence of religion and ethics in Star Wars, (essay) Star Wars on Trial, ed. David Brin, Benbella Books (June, 2006).
- Twas Beauty Killed The Beast; King Kong and the American Character, (essay) King Kong is Back, ed. David Brin, Benbella Books (November, 2005).
- Just Throw Him In The Engine; Or The Role of Chivalry in FIREFLY, (essay) Finding Serenity, ed. Glen Yeffeth, Benbella Books (April, 2005).
- Heroes Of Darkness And Light; Or, Why My Girl Goes For Batman over Superman (essay) Batman Unauthorized, ed. Glen Yeffeth, Benbella Books (March, 2008).
- Faith And Scientific Imagination (Published as Aliens Need Christ’s Redemption, Too) (essay) Catholic Herald (June, 2008)
- C.S. Lewis Was The Joshua Flattening The Walls Of My Disbelief (testimonial) Mere Christians—Inspiring Stories of Encounters with C. S. Lewis, ed. Andrew Lazo and Mary Anne Phemister, Baker Books (February, 2009)
- Following Logic to Its Surprising Conclusions, (testimonial) Atheist to Catholic: Stories of Conversion, ed. Rebecca Vitz Cherico, St. Anthony Messenger Press (March, 2011).
- Heinlein, Hugos, and Hogwash (essay) Intercollegiate Review, web publication (May, 2014)
- Faith and Works in a Science Fictional Universe (essay) One Peter Five, ed. Steve Skojec, web publication (August, 2014)
- Prophetic & Apotropaic Science Fiction (essay) Sci Phi Journal: Issue # 2 (November, 2014)
- A Reluctant Hero of Mars (essay) Edgar Rice Burroughs: The Master of Pulp Storytelling
You can visit my boast page at https://www.sff.net/people/john-c-wright/index.html